Burkina Faso. A suspected Islamic extremists ambushed a convoy in northern Burkina Faso on Wednesday. At least 30 civilians were killed in this attack, along with 17 soldiers and volunteer defense fighters. The government gave this information. However, no one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack in Burkina Faso’s Sahel region. But terrorists affiliated with al-Qaeda and the Islamic State group have been carrying out attacks on security forces in the West African country.
A recent attack killed 30 people, including 15 soldiers and four volunteer fighters, in the northern region. About a week ago, suspected extremists ambushed a group of soldiers in western Burkina Faso, killing 12 people. Rida Lyamuri, a senior fellow at the Policy Center for the New South, a Moroccan-based organization focused on economy and policy, said the militants have shown their ability to attack civilians despite the security of the army. “It shows that they have information about where the security forces are and what routes they will go through,” he said.
Thousands of people have died in the region as a result of extremist violence and military retaliation. At the same time, about 13 lakh people have had to leave their homes and be displaced. Locals say that there is a fear among them that violence may increase in the coming days. Ibrahim Kagon, a local journalist from the nearby town of Dori, told the Associated Press news agency that the growing terrorist attacks against people in the Gorgadji and Aurobinda regions were “shocked and worried”.
Also read: Will India recognize Taliban in Afghanistan or not? External Affairs Minister Jaishankar told
Armed with unskilled and modern weapons, the army is struggling to stop the violence. Due to this deteriorating security is creating unrest in the entire country. There were widespread protests last month, after which the pressure on the government increased. The effect was that President Roch Marc Christian Cabore dismissed his defense and security ministers. After this appointed himself the Minister of Defense. However, even after this the opposition does not seem satisfied. The opposition says that a reshuffle in the government is not enough, but now is the time to take concrete steps.
Read Hindi News online and watch Live TV on Hindi website. Know news related to country and abroad and your state, Bollywood, sports world, business.